Frequently Asked Questions

Are there any grants available to start a business?

The SBA does not offer grants to start or expand small businesses, although it does offer a wide variety of loan programs. SBA does offer some grant programs, but these generally support non-profit organizations, intermediary lending institutions, and state and local governments.

What is a business plan and why do I need one?

A business plan is a road map for the direction of your company and specifically defines your business and clearly states your goals. In addition, a good business plan is a crucial part of any loan package because it provides specific and organized information about your company and how you will repay borrowed money.

What types of permits and licenses are generally needed for starting a business?

In addition to local permits and licenses which may be required, some businesses require specific licenses from the State of Texas. For a complete list of Business Licenses and Permits required for each type of business

Do I need a Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) or tax number?

In some cases, some sole proprietors with no employees and no sales tax can simply use their own social security number for tax purposes, but most businesses will need an EIN. You can apply by phone, fax, or mail.

Who is required to hold a Texas sales & use tax permit, and how do I get one?

You must obtain a permit if you are engaged in business in Texas and you sell tangible personal property in Texas; lease tangible property in Texas; or sell taxable services in Texas. For more information on obtaining a permit from the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts